This recipe for Lemon Blueberry Coconut Muffins started out of wanting to make muffins but being seriously low on all ingredients. You know, that time of the week or month when it seems you have nothing in the fridge or pantry that can go together to make something yummy? Either it is too much flour, and no sugar or too much produce but no sweets to go with it. This time around, it was a bit of both sides being low on supply.
Please know this post is not sponsored , but does include affiliate links to help support my business. Thanks for reading.
I knew I had frozen blueberries, a staple I keep in my freezer to make smoothies, or for an easy breakfast add-on in oatmeal. I usually always have lemons as they are an awesome addition when cooking for an acidic flavour, help soothe a sore throat in hot water and let’s be honest help make Gin & Tonics super tasty.
I looked up my Lemon Blueberry Muffin recipe from the blog, and realized I hadn’t made a vegan version yet. My diet is currently 80 – 90% plant based, which means, it is very rare I have eggs or dairy butter in my fridge anymore. I took on the challenge of needed to re-create the recipe vegan, and work with a low grocery stock which also meant non of my regular plant based milks in the fridge.
My back-up staple for plant based milks is having a couple cans of full fat coconut milk in the pantry. They can be watered down to make a more slim milk for coffees, cereals, smoothie etc. or have the full fat content to make coconut whipping cream and add a rich flavour to muffins, like these Lemon Blueberry Coconut Muffins.
I usually have coconut oil in my pantry, as it’s a high heat oil, and is great for cooking but also when looking for a fat replacement in a recipe. In this case I used it instead of butter from my original recipe, but also to enhance the coconut flavour alongside the coconut milk
The muffin batter turned out with a rich purple colour, likely due to using frozen blueberries not fresh, but I love the colour. The muffin as well, is more dense, almost creamy coming from the coconut milk. Our favourite way to eat the muffins is for breakfast, or heated up with a little vegan butter for a bedtime snack.
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Coconut Muffins
1. Prepare the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of water. Place in fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.
2. If the coconut oil isn’t already liquid, heat it over low heat in a sauce pan until liquid.
3. Mix dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon rind in a bowl.
4. In another small bowl combine coconut oil, coconut milk and flax egg. Make sure the coconut oil isn’t hot, but just melted otherwise the cold of the egg and milk will re-solidify the oil.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
5. Stir in frozen or fresh blueberries.
6. Line muffin pan with silicone muffin cups. Fill the silicone muffin cups ⅔ full with batter. An easy trick is using a large ice cream scoop for consistent filling and easy scooping.
7. Bake muffins at 375F for 20 – 25 minutes until edges are golden, muffin is firm when you touch it and when you insert a toothpick into the centre of the muffin, it comes out clean!